Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Struggle/What's In A Name




I've said it before and I'll say it again: Some paintings are more work than others. Not all paintings are masterpieces. One of my painting instructors at UNI, Deb Zlotsky, used to refer to "Slave Paintings". This wasn't quite one of those, but it was close.
Through competition you learn that in conflict you develop strong bonds to people, things, and ideals. Those bonds can be with those you've struggled with and those you've struggled against. I feel like I wrestled with this painting a lot. Funny thing is that now that I'm done I don't see the struggle as clearly. It didn't take me any longer than any other piece. Actually I think the time frame was about average if not a little shorter. Now that I'm done I like it a lot. There are a few very minor things I might go back and touch up, but not so you'd notice. Mostly it's for my own satisfaction as opposed to any sort of actual problem with the aesthetic.

I posted this one on my Facebook page and asked for some help with the title. I suck at titles. My friends have come up with quite a few. Here's a sampling in no particular order: "Shadows in the Rain" an ode to the Police tune, "Curb Side Canopy", "Whisperings", "Red Lights and Raindrops", "Prayers For Rain", "These Human Shadows", and "Manhattan Voyeur".

There was this one other suggestion by Larassa Kabel, "And Then There was the Screech of Tires".
I like that one.

Here's the final image and a detail close-up. At least this is what I'm calling final until I go back and start screwing with it (resisting... temptation...). I'll be posting it for sale on my Etsy site today. I'll let you know where it goes to roost so you can see it in person if you like.


Cheers,

R

2 comments:

Kathy_L said...

Evening Soak

Krystyna81 said...

"Annonymous.Watching"

I love this painting!