Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Red Wheel Barrow


so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens.

William Carlos Williams

I've always liked that one.  It speaks to me about the moment of inspiration.  That time when, after a seemingly endless period of effort, something happens and it's the jumping off point of something very important.  Although I'm not necessarily a religious person anymore I can't seem to get over the fact that things sure do have a funny way of coming together at just the right (or wrong) time.  The last few weeks have been a good example of this and some very unpleasant things have come to pass.  But as things seem to go other doors have opened juuuuust a hair and because of that additional light I have been shown other possibilities that I had lost sight of.  You toil and toil and you get desperate and then you see a picture or hear a song on the radio or an old friend comes up in conversation...  BANG!  You see the logic in it all just for a second.  Best to go with it.  It's how my painting The Numbers Man came up last year.

I kinda like that guy...

And it's how I came to a conclusion today.  There are details that still keep it from becoming more than a conclusion.  They balance everything on the head of a pin.  I'm not sure which way things will go, but it gives me a larger sense of purpose and a more open playing field. Sometimes it's hard to see in which ways you bind yourself.  I really realized today. While I've been thinking about making a change I hadn't really taken it far enough.  It's funny how you can say things to others and it makes perfect sense, but you don't automatically apply it to yourself as well.  I know I've been harping on this topic on and off for a while.

Simplify Simplify Simplify.

What could be more simple than a red wheel barrow glazed with rain water beside the white chickens?

Bawk Bawk


Cheers
R

No comments: