Monday, November 2, 2009

New Scam Coming Soon to Your Inbox!

Hey Kids! I just got hit up by a new email scam this weekend. Well, it was new to me at least. It came as the result of posting my teaching class on Craigslist.

Here's the message I received verbatim:

mikkylemore@aol.com to rob
5:24 PM
My name is David john I'm interested in your lesson. I would like you to
be taking my daughter your lesson while i am at work in your city. I live
in England(UK) but i'm moving to your area because I'm having a contract
with Environmental Protection Agency in united state, And they are the one
responsible for all payment of all my need including the lesson fees and
there mode of payment is by Cashier Check.The contract will be just for 4
weeks so i want you to email me back if you can teach my daughter,
(jenny) she is just (18 yrs old) and also you don't have to worry
concerning how she will be comming to the lesson i have already made all
neccesary arrangement for all her needs infact i have negotiate with a Cab
Company that will provide her the Cab and driver that will be driving her
to the lesson and driving her back home after the lesson . So i will want
you to get back to me with the total charges for the 2hrs in a day 3 days
in a week for good 4 weeks...
YOU WILL HAVE TO EMAIL ME BACK ALL THIS INFORMATION SO THAT I CAN SEND
IT TO THE E.P.A SO THEY I'LL ARRANGE FOR THE PAYMENT ASAP.
(1) TOTAL CHARGES FOR THE LESSON:
(2) YOUR FULL NAME TO BE ON THE CHECK:
(3) YOUR LIVING ADDRESS TO SEND THE CHECK TO:
(4) YOUR ZIP CODE:
(5) YOUR CELL PHONE NUMBER FOR EASY COMMUNICATION:

I will be waiting to hear from you shortly
Mr David john
here is my living address
Ryhall Rd, Stamford, PE9 1UA
United Kingdom


Here's a link I found regarding another wording of this same email:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.dance/browse_thread/thread/8d56f223c3b70976?pli=1

Naturally it was pretty easy to spot the scam what with the poor grammar, odd spacing, and a very fill-in-the-blank look about the message. Not to mention the person's name, "David John" was in no way reflected by the name in the email address, "mikkylemore@aol.com". Granted not everyone uses their name in their email address, but to use a totally different proper name is, to say the least, a little suspect. Things like this can be easy to overlook when sales are down and you're in need of cash. Keep your wits about you and remember what your parents said, "If it sounds too good to be true it probably is".

When in doubt check with ArtScams.com or your fellow Artists. And hey... let's be careful out there.


Cheers,

R

No comments: