Monday, October 20, 2008

A Relaxing Weekend Sortof

I finally decided to take some time off this last weekend. Honestly it felt strange. I did take some time Friday to spend an evening curled up on the couch with my boys. Very sedate. Very reassuring. I'd say that's one of my "Happy Places". After putting them to bed I was faced with the dilemma of deciding what to do next. I sat alone in the quiet letting the TV do all the work... My friends were, as usual, right. I needed it. I tried to avoid doing anything too productive all weekend except for a little laundry and some workouts. My body and mind needed it. I've started my week feeling less strung out than usual. I did get back to painting last night and am feeling pretty good about both of the pieces I'm currently working on.
So I've attached the progress update images from last night:

I'm still fiddling with the details on the ISU CampusTown piece. I'm fairly happy with most of the colors at this point. The structures to the left of the composition are still mostly just underpainting, but will shape up quickly. I'm very happy with the violets that are happening in the shadows. Looking forward to finishing this up soon. Coming soon to an Etsy store near you!

The second piece is still coming together compositionally, but you can see the glow of the twilight sky shaping up in the background. The cars are starting to form from the negative space of the pavement around them. I'll probably start working on the two main figures tonight or tomorrow. I'm hoping this one will come together quickly.
I'm looking forward to getting these pieces finished. I've got some new ideas I'm wanting to try out. Maybe something a little more abstract. I could use a change of pace subject matter-wise. I'm not getting much back from the clients I'm trying to nail down on commissions so it's time to produce, produce, produce.



Cheers,

R

No comments: