Thursday, October 9, 2008

Taking a Break

All this week I've Tweeted and Facebooked, etc ad nauseaum about getting down to the studio. It seems like every night I've headed downstairs and wound up either pissing around for half an hour or so and heading back upstairs or actually trying to get some work done and just lacking the heart for it. I'm a big advocate of dogged determination, but sometimes, i'm finding, you just have to give in and either take a break or do something else productive or whatever. I try to stay productive. Try to keep moving. My Grandma Reeves used to say, "If you stop moving you might as well just lay down and die". I plan to do quite a bit more before I go and do that.

There has been a lot going on here, and I think it's just drained me to the point of distraction or exhaustion or some space in between. I've taken the position that this blog was going to be more about the process and the work than about my personal issues so I won't go into boarish detail as to just what those issues are. Suffice it to say that it's been more than a bit overwhelming. I think it's just drained my ability to paint this week.

Digressing...

I did decided to spend tonight working on some ideas for a commissioned piece. I hooked up witht the client through work. He's had to live in a number of different countries and has this great piece of Sydney. I've been toying with the idea of how to combine the various iconic elements of Chicago into one piece (which is what he's asking for). I've got this great picture of The Bean with this couple standing in front of it and the skyline reflected on it's perfect surface. I'm thinking I could work those iconic images (Millenium Park, the Sears Tower, Wrigley, etc) into that reflection. I've thrown the idea out there. We'll see what he says. Hopefully he'll like the idea.
So in the interest of getting something done I'll sign off.
Cheers,
R

No comments: