Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Done with Christmas


It took some doing but I finally wrapped up my Christmas commissions. There were 2 good-sized charcoals and a painting going to the same person... presumably for Christmas presents. They should be arriving at their final destination this week. I sincerely hope the client is as happy with them as I was. It was nice to have a chance to bone up on my drafting skills. I'm trying to get less literal in my work, but it's always good to keep your technical skills sharp.

After taking a couple of days off I'm back on the job and working on a couple of projects. I've got a piece in mind for a show that's coming up very soon called, "Sensory Overload" at the Instinct Gallery in Des Moines. I've unfortunately run out of good canvases and don't really have time to place an order. Instead I've pulled out a damaged and rather large canvas I've been sitting on for a couple of years. One of the bars was crushed in transit from the supplier. They immediately replaced the order, but they never retrieved the damaged merchandise. I finally broke down, disassembled the stretcher bars and am going to re-cut and join the frame. It will be a bit smaller than its original 60"x48", but it will be much stronger... and in one piece.

It's when you start a project like this that you realize what little odds and ends you're missing. I miss having a corner vice, for instance.

I also started work on my studio space. The interior walls are primed. Now to prime the exterior and start painting. I'm going to have a red door I've decided. I'm also going to have some chalkboard space on the wall. It should help me with keeping track of random ideas as well as give my boys something to do when they visit. It might also be handy for teaching which is something I plan to do in this space.

I'm looking forward to being able to instruct oil painting as well as drawing. I'll have all of the materials there and plenty of room. Sooo... uh, if you know anyone who's looking for painting lessons... just uh throwin' that out there. Classes are coming soon.


Cheers,

R

No comments: