Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Took Me By Surprise

Sometimes things just sneak up on you. I've said many times that I'm looking to make some fundamental changes in my work. I still enjoy doing the Urban Landscape thing, but I'm looking to incorporate more narrative. To create stories... or at least some questions.

Looking to incorporate more figurative study into my work I started preparations for a portrait of sorts. More of a themed piece based around a photo than an accurate painting if you know what I mean. I did the early, rough sketches. Did a lot of thinking about how I was going to lay it out. So I put brush to canvas and within 20 minutes pretty much all of that had gone out the window and my friend was starting to develop what was looking strangely like the head of a crow. It wasn't planned. Totally not my intention. He was supposed to keep his own head. Although I'd considered inserting my own I ultimately decided against.

So here he is with this crow's head thing going on and I'm left with a choice: Keep heading in the direction I'd intended or Go with it. There mere fact that this happenstance occurred was enough to convince me to go with it. It more or less flowed out of me at that point. After two sessions I'm very pleased with what's come out. I plan on putting a lot of emphasis on the hands and glasses in the foreground. The head is nearly done. Plus there's this really great wallpaper in the shot that I'm looking forward to painting. I won't show you the whole thing yet though. Here are some details of the work in progress. If you want to see if in person you'll have to come to the "Sensory Overload" show at Instinct Gallery here in good ol' DSM on January 8th. I'll post the final after the show opens.

Spent some time in the new studio space this week. The walls are painted a lovely shade of eggshell. I'll be painting up the chalkboard wall this weekend hopefully. The floor timbers need a good scrub and a little oil soap to make them look good again as well. Once that's done (Sunday maybe?) I'll start moving my stuff in. I'll be looking for some furniture and little amenities to "home it up" a bit. I think I hear Craigslist and the local thrift stores calling my name. I'll post some pics when it's a little more in-progress.

Until then I'd like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas or whatever you happen to be celebrating (like an extended weekend). Tonight I'm celebrating my first son's tenth birthday. Who knew I'd have a 10 year old kid? Clearly I'm far too young...


Cheers,

R

No comments: